NB. These minutes are DRAFT until ratified on 8 September 2014
MINUTES of the PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
held on Monday 14 July 2014 at 7.30pm
in the Recreation Hall, Chiseldon
Present: Cllrs Phil Costigan (acting chair), Keith Bates, Caroline Brady, Adelaide Dudman, David Hill, Neil McFadyen, Peter Purcell, Chris Rawlings, Eric Shaw (also B.Cllr), Wendy Wright. B.Cllr Andrew Bennett.
Apologies: Cllrs Sarah Bowles, Margarita Cabrera, Paul Sunners, Paul Walton. B.Cllr Fionuala Foley.
Also in attendance: Three members of the public.
John Huntley stated that the green waste lorry needed attention as it was leaking fluid and making a mess on the roads. He also mentioned that there were two drains in High Street which had been full for some time and needed emptying. The speed of farm traffic in Draycott Road was a cause of concern, and he wondered if the local farmers could be spoken to.
Sandra Matthews of Coate stated that the chapel at the end of Coate Lane posed an eyesore with overgrown vegetation and that the contents, including inflammable materials have not been properly cleared. As the chapel is sited next to an electricity sub-station, she thought that it posed a health & safety problem. The clerk is to check with SBC as to the ownership of the chapel.
Cllr Wright mentioned that emails had been sent complaining about the archaeological tests at Coate and claiming to be from the Coate residents, but are not.
14/65. Declarations of interest.
14/66. Co-option of new councillor.
Adelaide Dudman was welcomed to the committee as representative for Badbury on a proposal by Cllr Costigan seconded by Cllr Hill; all in favour.
14/67. Approval of minutes.
Page 3 (minute 14/61- para 2 of Planning committee report). Cllr Shaw asked for “… right of way…‘had’ been blocked of…” to be replaced by ‘may have’.
Following this change, the minutes were proposed by Cllr Bates seconded by Cllr Hill; all in favour.
14/68. Matters arising.
Cllr Rawlings noted there was not any police attending again.B.Cllr Bennett stated that the police were undergoing restructuring, which may impact on their non-attendance.
Page 2 (minute 14/58. – para 1 of Matters Arising). Cllr Hill distributed a plan of Draycott Road showing the proposed siting of the bus bays and stated that they were to be implemented in about eight weeks time.
Page 3 (minute 14/62 – Chiseldon Church AGM). Cllr Hill noted that there was no report on the Church AGM and that it was missing from the July agenda.
Page 4 (minute 14/63 – item 2 of Correspondence). Cllr Hill stated that cheques paid in to some banks were being charged for, and thought that on-line banking should be investigated. He was surprised that Santander did not currently charge for clearing cheques.
Page 4 (minute 14/64 – AOB). Cllr Brady mentioned that B.Cllr Foley had suggested that the August ward councillor surgery goes ahead. Cllr Brady was told that this was in hand and that Cllr Hill would be the Parish Council representative.
Action points. Cllr Shaw stated that there was no public right of way at 5 Butts Road, but a personal right of way for access to the field beyond the bungalow existed, which the landowner can use.
In the absence of Cllr Walton it was not known whether he had taken up the issue of speeding vehicles through Hodson with B.Cllr Foley.
The clerk had not yet written to B.Cllr Bennett asking him to be more timely in supplying information on the North Wessex Downs programmes, but B.Cllr Bennett thought that the Parish Council had been invited to attend a local meeting for the ‘Leader’ Programme. The clerk stated that the invite might be hidden within the newsletter from NWD.
All other action points had been actioned.
14/69. Borough Councillors’ report
B.Cllr Bennett had recently attended the inaugural meeting of the Rural Assembly which acts as a sounding board and is a longer-term exercise.
Wiltshire’s fire rescue service is combining with that of Dorset. There are different levels of meetings planned including some with businesses and with the public. Dorset has programmes which Wiltshire does not, involving school children in specialist centres in Bournemouth and Weymouth.
B.Cllr Shaw had circulated copies of what he was to report on to councillors and stated that there was no collection of plastics because the lorry had broken down. Collection of plastics and the uncleared black bins would take place in the next two days.
SBC’s policy for a 20mph speed limit on rural roads is that ‘requests for changes must be prioritised and given the injury record, costs, and availability of funding, the rural roads of Chiseldon were not identified as a priority’. However he will continue to press for a reduction in the speed limit. He has queried the omission of Hodson from the review of rural speed management in Chiseldon and Draycot Foliat. Cllr Dudman stated that it has been four years since the last review at Badbury in which time it has not been mentioned. Cllr Shaw pointed out that it is the responsibility of B.Cllr Bennett, not him or B.Cllr Foley.
He has managed to obtain monies from the S106 Fund held by SBC, for the planned improvements to the Tennis Courts, conditional on Sport England funding being available and the project still going ahead.
He requested that street names for Badbury Park are suggested to SBC, and the clerk agreed to incorporate an article in the Ridgeway Bell.
He has requested two weeks’ work from SBC’s ‘hours fund’, to be spent on hedge trimming, path clearing, etc. SBC has responded quickly to a number of issues regarding street smart, including fly tipping and verge cutting. An order is to be placed shortly regarding Draycott Road bus clearways with a time scale of up to six weeks for delivery. The latest agreed date for resurfacing the A346 is 1 August, and B.Cllr Shaw is to check to see if the contra-flow system which was operated before will again be used. He does not have any details on the resurfacing of the B4005 but said that signage and routing had been decided. Junction 15 of the M4 was still one of the top priorities for junction improvements.
Andy Brown has offered to speak one evening in September to the Planning Committee and other interested Parish Council members on current planning procedures.
Cllr Wright asked if anything could be done to move the barrier and release part of the land in Coate for a turning circle to help the Woodbine Terrace residents. B.Cllr Shaw is to contact Nicola Smith.
14/70. Finance report.
Cllr Costigan presented the financial report, and stated that there had been no meeting of the Finance Committee and that the payments listings and accounts to date needed to be approved.
- Payments listing. The June list of payments totalled £5,344.37 including VAT of £315.88. The only significant non-routine payments were £418.40 plus VAT to Peter Newson for electrical work at the Recreation Hall and Pavilion and £60.00 to Burderop Estate, which included the £40 credit reported in May, for rental of Washpool on behalf of WARP . The electricity charges were based on actual readings, and the charge for the Pavilion at £353.90 plus VAT was deemed high. The clerk is to speak with CFC.
The payments listing was accepted on a proposal by Cllr Rawlings, seconded by Cllr Purcell; all in favour.
- Receipts and payments. Income in the totalled £1,674.17 and the expendure outlined above created a deficit of £3,670.20, which reduced the cumulative surplus for the year to £7,376.71. Ringfenced funds were increased by £1,500.00 being the agreed annual amount on WARP to be invoiced by Wilts Wildlife Trust, and the revised total is £50,147. Unringfenced funds were £26,780.13 – a healthy position.
The receipts and payments was accepted on a proposal by Cllr Hill, seconded by Cllr Rawlings; all in favour.
14/71. Committee reports.
Environment, General Purposes & Highways.
Cllr Rawlings presented the minutes and stated that it had been agreed that Dave Sharland carries out the necessary repairs to the Chapel roof. He is commencing work on the 1 August and will take approximately two weeks. The clerk agreed to put appropriate wording in The RidgewayBell article.
Cllr Rawlings asked if the committee would approve the placing of a toilet and running water in the Chapel and this was subsequently approved on a proposal by Cllr Hill seconded by Cllr McFadyen; all in favour. Cllr Rawlings will now get quotes.
WARP need to fund raise shortly. Cllr Rawlings has sent an e-mail to SBC and will send a similar e-mail to the Burderop concerning the overgrown footpaths.
Cllr Hill stated that the Downsview issues were subject to a Highways meeting of SBC.
Recreation & Community.
In the absence of Cllr Sunners, Cllr McFadyen presented the minutes and stated that BIOS had produced a very positive report on the progress made at Chiseldon. Rev Roger Powell is willing to participate in the care for the elderly.
There was confusion over the mini-bus. The Three Trees Farm Shop intend to get their own transport to ferry personnel to and from the shop, and not rely on the primary school. Cllr Hill stated that a new bus stop is to be installed outside the Farm Shop on Wednesday 16 July.
14/72. Chiseldon Community Plan.
The inaugural meeting was held on 18 June (Cllrs Brady and Purcell and John Legge were not available to attend) and Cllr Hill stated that there was a good discussion. Cllr Purcell stated that some structure was needed, there were no terms of reference and he was nominated to sit on a committee in his absence. He did not subscribe to a committee for the sake of committees. He had fundamentally differing opinions to Cllr Shaw, who is to inquire of SBC on the likely timing of its plan and stated that the Parish cannot specify the type and number of houses on a particular site.
Cllr Costigan suggested that the clerk propose a number of dates for the next meeting.
In the absence of Cllr Walton, the clerk explained that the Chair was looking for volunteer councillors to accompany him to future meetings of the Swindon Area Panel of Wiltshire Area of Local Councils. Cllr Hill stated that he would be willing to accompany Cllr Walton to the meeting but required more details, which the clerk will provide.
1. Letter from John Legge, suggesting the transfer of the funds re the Memorial Hall to the Parish Council. This is to be discussed at the September meeting.
2. Emails re archaeological botches over clearance of Badbury Park. See comment from Cllr Wright under public recess above.
3. Letter from 10 Downing St about the tax cuts for businesses (doesn’t affect us).
4 Letter from SBC re ethical training provided for councillors. The clerk is to arrange for training by S Taylor.
5. Newsletter from BIOS concerning the outreach programme in Chiseldon.
6. Email from the Policy Exchange giving details of two keynote speeches made re the current row about Birmingham Schools which will map the education policies for the next election and beyond.
7. Emailed newsletter from the Historic Towns Forum.
8. Update from the Payments Council, handed to the clerk by a local resident.
9. Emailed newsletter from Healthwatch Swindon, which includes several articles.
10. Newsletter from Came & Co (our insurer).
11. Catalogue from J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale seller of horticulture).
12. Town Crier magazine.
13. Email from Sovereign Design Play Systems advertising their wares.
The new SBC Cabinet has been appointed, and the mayor for 2014/15 is Cllr Teresa Page.
Electors can now register their vote online. Information slips are available at the reception desk in SBC and at local libraries.
Details of changes to Stagecoach bus services affecting Swindon from 23 June are available.
14/75. Any other business.
Cllr McFadyen voiced concerns re the Swindon waste facility stated that Marlborough (used regularly by him) were tightening up on the use of its facility. The public may be stopped and questioned, and the clerk is to make reference to it in his Ridgeway Bell article.
Cllr Purcell asked for footpaths to be installed in the Ladysmith Road area as the public had a healthy walk to the nearest bus stop and the road is heavily used by HGVs under instruction. Cllr Shaw stated that S106 monies were tied up to the area around Alexander Park. Ladysmith Road is too far away for the monies, which are the subject of a legal agreement to be used for either a path or a pavement.
Cllr Purcell commented on the aircraft noise, and stated he is willing to visit the operators at Redlands Airfield, and explain that it would be beneficial for the aircraft to vary its flight path. Cllr Walton needs to give his approval to this approach, and Cllr Purcell will talk to him.
Cllr Hill warned that Fleming Way is now a ‘buses only’ road, and any other vehicle using it will receive a letter and a fine.
Cllr Shaw felt that a conflict of interests existed in his serving on the Planning Committee of each council – hence his standing down as a member of the Chiseldon Planning committee, as he wants to remain on the SBC Committee.
The meeting closed at 9.20pm.
Date of next meeting. The next meeting will take place on Monday 8 September 2014 at 7.30pm in the Recreation Hall. There is no Full Council meeting in August.